Ira Weaver Post 121
Vol. 02, Issue 12
P.O. Box 247, Blairsville, Ga. 30512
Mike Ayers, Commander- 678-378-4663 Harvey Schwartz, Sr. Vice Commander- 404-617-0443
Jack Waters, Adjutantfirstname.lastname@example.org, Dan Navin Jr. Vice Commander-727-441-5253, Phil Gatlin, Chaplin-706-835-1215
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
1)PEARL HARBOR REMEMBRANCE DAY DEC 07
2)CHANUKAH (FIRST DAY) DEC 12
3)EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETING 1030 DEC 13
4) POST 121 MONTHLY MEETING (NONE )
5)CHAT AND CHEW AT VA CENTER 0900-1130 DEC 15
6)CHRISTMAS DAY DEC 25
7)NEW YEARS EVE DEC 31
End of year report: this has been a busy year for Post 121 and I want to briefly update you on some of the things we have been doing.
- Flag program is headed by Past Commander Don Sullivan. For $20 you can get a new flag and he will even take your old one and raise the new one.
- Executive committee meeting has been started the Wednesday before our 3rd Tuesday night general meeting. This is being done so meeting times can be informational and fun.
- Guest Speakers; it is our intention to have a speaker ay every meeting. If you know of someone you would like to recommend let me know.
- Membership Renewal; we are in the middle of membership renewal and transfer. We are currently at app 175 members, not counting the Auxiliary, SAL, or Riders. Keep up the recruiting for new or transfers.
- Veterans Day luncheon was a great success and a big thank you to our Auxiliary; DAR and all the others who helped make this a wonderful event. The Woody Gap Band of Steel performed for us.
- Veteran Service Organization Commanders Meetings are being held Quarterly to keep each other informed and hopefully we can find projects that will benefit the entire community.
- SOP manual is a work in progress.
- Sorghum festival was very successful again.
- Post 121 budget for 2017-2018 has been presented and approved.
- An Audit has been completed by our Judge Advocate Roy Bateman with all books and records found to be in good order.
- Post 121 is now a member of the Chamber of Commerce. A Ribbon cutting ceremony was held Sept 18
- Entrance Sign to the Veteran’s Building on Old Blueridge street has been completed and installed.
- MIAP Missing in America Project is busy trying to locate the cremations of Veterans. Hopefully some more will be identified and a spring burial can be done at the National Cemetery in Canton.
- Community outreach ideas are being looked at and any and all suggestions will be appreciated
- Newsletter advertising is being solicited. If you know of anyone who is not getting their Newsletter either by email or snail mail, let Harvey Schwartz know, so it can be corrected.
- SAL Chartered and it will be officially presented at the January meeting.
- American Legion Riders has been chartered and is very active. If you know of any Riders please let them know about our group.
- Golf tournament on April 14, 2018 will be the first of many events in 2018 and Stephen Stratman will be our Special Events Chairman along with all the other things he does.
- Stonehenge and UC Nursing Home visits are going well. A few came to the Veteran’s Day Luncheon.
- A Scholarship has been awarded and we will be giving another one this spring. More to follow.
- We are seeking the Afghan and Iraqi war vets and want to have them in our group.
- Chew and Chat is being held bimonthly at the Blairsville VA Clinic.
- This is by no means all we have done; just a summary about a few of them. These wonderful things could not have been accomplished without the combined efforts of all officers, Chairpersons and most of all the members.
- In early January we will publish a list of upcoming events for 2018.
I hope you all have a blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year. Looking forward to an awesome 2018. Mike Ayers Commander
SR. VICE COMMANDER’S CORNER:
As we enter into the month of December, a time for family and friends, we should reflect on the sacrifices that have been made and still are being made by our armed forces to insure that the Republic can survive and flourish for our children and future generations to come. In light of this, to show homage for those that have given the ultimate sacrifice, a wreath laying ceremony sponsored by Wreaths Across America will be held at the Ga. National Cemetery, 9310 Knox Bridge Hwy, Canton, Ga on 16 December 2017. If you wish to participate in the wreath ceremony, please check the “Wreaths Across America” web site or contact Dan Poirer @ 770-377-2377
Harvey S. Schwartz
Senior Vice Commander
POST 121 BIRTHDAY’S
The following Legionnaires will be celebrating their birthday in the month of December: Charles King 12/01, Susan Jeter 12/01, Foy Wise 12/06, Charles Jenkins 12/09, Jerry Martin 12/18, James Stephens 12/12, Larry Davis 12/19, Weldon Reece 12/25, George Leigh 12/25, Harvey Olitsky 12/29.
VA has announced that the application process for the national Veterans Identification Card (VIC) is now available for Veterans — yet another action honoring their service.
This has been mandated through legislation since 2015 to honor Veterans, and today’s rollout of the ID card fulfills that overdue promise.
Only those Veterans with honorable service will be able to apply for the ID card, which will provide proof of military service, and may be accepted by retailers in lieu of the standard DD-214 form to obtain promotional discounts and other services where offered to Veterans.
“The new Veterans Identification Card provides a safer and more convenient and efficient way for most Veterans to show proof of service,” said VA secretary Dr. David J. Shulkin. “With the card, Veterans with honorable service to our nation will no longer need to carry around their paper DD-214s to obtain Veteran discounts and other services.”
The VIC provides a more portable and secure alternative for those who served the minimum obligated time in service, but did not meet the retirement or medical discharge threshold. Veterans who served in the armed forces, including the reserve components, and who have a discharge of honorable or general (under honorable conditions) can request a VIC.
Veterans who apply for a card should receive it within 60 days and can check delivery status of their cards at vets.gov. A digital version of the VIC will be available online by mid-December.
POST 121 AUXILIARY NEWS
The ALA will again be serving snacks to our Veterans at the Veterans Administration’s Clinic in Blairsville, Ga. on December 15 from 0900 to 1130 hours.
NOTES FROM THE EDITOR:
I would like extend a personal thank you to all of our members who have supported the American Legion, Sons of the American Legion, Legion Riders, and the American Legion Aux for all their time and effort put in this past year and wish them all a Healthy and Happy Holiday season.
Please be advised that our current website address will be Legionpost121.org and, per our IT Officer, follow necessary directions to create your individual login.
Please submit any announcements or items for the newsletter to Harvey Schwartz, Editor.
Requests must be received by the 15th of prior month to be in the current month’s bulletin.